Sunday, June 15, 2008

the mission

This is a strange thing for me to do.  I'm really a nobody.

Let me re-phrase that.  You don't know me.  Political analysts the world over don't know me.  Candidates, Senators, Governors, pretty much everyone holding an office doesn't know me.

Perhaps they read one of my letters I sent to them, about this or that.  I'm not sure.

I see all of those letters being treated like screenplays in Hollywood.  They're all being read by readers.  The stupid ones get thrown out.  The ones with actual grammar, structure and story get put in with the pile marked 'readable'.  

The ones with an anti-message get passed around the office.  The ones with something to say... depends on the day of the reader.

There are a lot of problems in the US, and the economy is one of them.  I know, I know, bear with me.

See, every morning I travel to work, being driven by my mom or my sister.  We own a family business.  We all work very hard.  And this economy is killing our company.  So, every day we drive, we talk about what-not.  And one day, some political discussion came up with my mom and as I listened to her (and I love my mom), I noticed how out of touch she was with what was happening, politically.  Same with my sister.  And yes, I love her, too.

There's a difference between reading a CNN article, and understanding the force behind a CNN article.  The same can be said for The New York Times, The Washington Post, US News and World Report, Time Magazine, The LA Times, and any other newspaper, magazine, broadcast service and internet website that has an opinion and a favorite.

Then there is the force behind the news.  And this comes in many different forms.  But they all use one tool.

For the cynical and realistic, they recognize this tool as the spin.  The code in which most political (and business) spirits thrive on.  The spin can shift blame, put others in a better light, damage the most credible of people by taking their words and changing the context... it's a frightening power.  And it's very effective.  The Bush Administration has been the KING of the spin.  The machine in place worked on the country for 7 years, relentlessly.

It's power is waning, and most intelligent people are either just waking up and seeing the destruction it's caused, or have known about it, and dealt with it accordingly.

The truth seeps.  It is fluid like, and every once in a while you'll catch a glimpse of it.  Now, there is truth and there is TRUTH.  We see the former all the time.  And it's full of facts.  But, as I said, the majority of the time, there is an opinion or favorite behind the words.  And it's bent.

The TRUTH.  Hard to come by.  But there are fighters.  All over, there are fighters.  There are journalists with integrity.  There are politicians who can't go a day without wanting to vomit.  There are everyday people who won't look the other way, no matter how gruesome or frightening or detrimental to their personal safety.

I don't know enough about these people.  It's one of the other reasons I started this.

I'll be posting news stories. Videos. Bone prophecies collected from witch's and shamans.  And I'm going to try and dissect them.  I expect to be wrong sometimes.  I welcome comments from everyone.

You'll see my header.  That question mark, at this point, could be anything (although it was originally supposed to be a whipped cream pie... made one, shot photos of it... blech, came out awful, tasted worse.)  And that could either be us, or U.S.  Take your pick.

You want to leave comments?  Absolutely no problem.  No anonymous comments.  You want to call me out on something?  Let me know who you are.  

Like I said, I'm nobody.  But everyone started out as nobodies.  And look at what they're all accomplishing.

John

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, from any experiences I've had with politics (very, very, very little), I'd rather listen to the nobodies than the somebodies. I look forward to reading more... I'm glad you decided to start a political blog.