Saturday, July 19, 2008

articles

First, I'd like to present you all with a case that you might not have heard about.

Here's an article on a Mexican man who is set to be killed in Houston on August 5th.

I found out about this topic on reddit. The link takes you to the articles comment page.

Here, you will see one of the reasons why the United States continues to say FU to the UN. Because our citizens and politicians alike are more interested in their personal beliefs rather than the rule of law.

What would happen if you or a member of your family committed a crime outside of the United States, and was told they couldn't contact the US consulate for legal help?

My comments, btw, are the 'stilesjp' comments. After my back and forth with 'locutus', well, I figured he was too stupid, or was baiting me, or has schizophrenia, after his last comment. Such a shame. On such an important topic, to not even be able to debate it as an adult.

The fact is, I'm on the fence about the death penalty, especially when talking about the state of Texas, who has killed more inmates than any other state.

On top of that, Project Innocence has had more sentences overturned in Texas than any other state. Death row sentences, and others.

And the funny thing is, no one who is requesting the review is saying that he's innocent.

Anyone have anything to say on this matter?

----------

In the EYEROLL edition here (brand new, I just thought of that), we have an article from the Washington Post about the Bush Administrations brush off towards Guantanamo detainees, going back as far as 2002.

Isn't it amazing that everyone who actually does some research outside of the American mainstream media already knew (or at least assumed) this was taking place?

Didn't the US bar the Red Cross from having contact with detainees since 2003?

Here's an article written in January of 2007, that has Bush being quoted as saying:

"I'd like to end Guantanamo; I'd like it to be over with," the president said. "One of the things we will do is we'll send people back to their home countries."

I won't even comment on the ineffectualness of the Democrats because, frankly, they're useless.

Here's an article (transcript, kind of long) about detainees in both Iraq and Guantanamo being tortured, who were freed after YEARS of incarceration.

I don't think it's necessary to bring up Abu Ghraib.

Frankly, if people need to read this book to know the US's policy on detainees... they should go and put their heads back in, well... pick your orifice.

Sigh.

I won't even get into quoting Shakespeare today.

Oh, fine, but not the line you think I'm going to quote.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

----------

Final article, which is just... I mean, come on.

1 comment:

Da Old Man said...

What I see is incidents that are incongruous. Yes, the man was here illegally, but our own lack of foresight has set up a situation that allows some one the opportunity to come here illegally.
I do agree that by executing this murderer, we are setting up Americans for problems abroad. To satisfy the anger of a few, we are putting many at risk....again.